Thursday, December 15, 2016

Hayao Miyazaki vs. A.I.

Main Idea
The article "The Director of "Spirited Away" Called Animation Made by AI an "insult to Life Itself" " (sorry for the title being so long) discusses the opinion of Hayao Miyazaki—a well-known Japanese animator—on A.I. drawn animations. His reaction, as you can imagine, was not positive.

Robots = Bad, Imagination = Good
In this article, Miyazaki argues that animations produced by A.I.s to be used in movies is an absolutely terrible idea and is "an insult to life itself". However, this isn't all that surprising considering how much depth he has put into his characters. I know it says something similar in the article, but I feel that way too.

Argument
Since robots lack imagination, Miyazaki, as I just said, doesn't think that it would be okay at all to use robots instead of actual people. He wasn't thinking in terms of producing movies faster, but taking time to make animations that matter. His only source was himself, but you can't really use a source for something like this.

Strengths and Weaknesses

I don't think this article really has any weaknesses, since it wasn't written by Miyazaki himself but only a person who wanted people to know how he felt. As far as I know, there aren't any typos or anything like that in the article. So...nothing really.
As for strengths, I thought it was very informative but not repetitive at all, so I thought that was pretty good.

Author's (Miyazaki's?) Conclusion
The author ended the article with a quote from Miyazaki that I'm sure many people would feel sad reading: "I feel like we are nearing to the end of times. We humans are losing faith in ourselves." I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels worried about the future when reading that.
Significance
Almost anything that Hayao Miyazaki says sounds important, even if he's just talking about a food he likes. After reading the quotes from this article, I'm sure many people will be inclined not to create things like this out of respect for him.

Author's Opinion
For about the billionth time, the author doesn't really argue about anything at all; she just talks about Miyazaki's reaction. However, she does drop some hints that she doesn't like the idea of the invention with vocabulary like "creepy" for the A.I.'s animation. However, Miyazaki's arguments about how a person's imagination should create instead of a machine definitely supported his claim of the drawings being disgusting.

Makes Sense
The "evidence" Miyazaki gives for why AI animation is horrible would relate more to someone who has more of a romantic mindset than a logistic one. Miyazaki, in this case, has the former.

For People Who Are Worried About This Kind Of Thing
I don't think it's very likely that robots are going to start taking over a ton of jobs in the future for this reason, so don't worry about that. 

Confusing?
There was a sentence in the article that read, "Referring to his experiences with a disabled friend...'Now, thinking of him, I can't watch this stuff and think it's interesting.'" I have read that sentence multiple times but I still don't really understand what is trying to be said. This seems to me like something everyone else but me would understand, but as usual, I'm probably thinking way too hard about it.

Afterthought
I honestly don't know why everyone has been making such a big deal about this lately, I mean it's not all that surprising (to me anyway).
Also, sorry, it seems to me like I've just been saying the same things over and over again.

- Brenna (• ◡•)

Cheng, Selina. "The Director of "Spirited Away" Called Animation Made by AI an "insult to        Life Itself" " Quartz. N.p., 10 Dec. 2016. Web. 13 Dec. 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment