Tuesday, October 13, 2015

"They loved your GPA, then they saw your Tweets"

Summary
The article being summarized is in the title. Basically, this article is about how many (or some) colleges look at students' social media to make sure they're not bringing any trouble-makers. Most of the time, this is done when students are applying for colleges; if they find out that a student is acting inappropriately online, they will most likely not accept them into their college, even if their GPA is great. It's generally saying that students--or anyone for that matter--should be careful about what they post online.

Surprise!
There were quite a few things in this article that surprised me. After all, I never realized that colleges looked through their students' social media pages. After hearing about it, it doesn't sound all that surprising anymore, considering al the rude things people post online. Another thing that shocked me was that of 381 college admissions officers that were interviewed, 31% of them said that they had checked a student's Facebook account to learn more about them; sounds kinda creepy to me :0. One other thing that surprised me was that a student from a college in California reported someone who he had friended on Facebook because of the person's rude comments about others. There aren't that many people who would say something about something like that (there was one other thing I was surprised about but it was pretty much the same thing as the first exclamation).

Okay...?
There were some things I was kind of confused about in this article. The first one I marked down was the same quote that mentioned the college admissions officers. Why would they look up their student's Facebook exactly? Were they concerned about a student? Did they think that someone's personality was fake and they wanted to find out what it really was?? I was obviously confused about that. I was also confused about what was trying to be said in this quote: "But those were rare instances, he says, and the supplemental material didn't significantly affect the students' admissions prospects." What does that mean?? The last thing I was bewildered by was about the kid who reported his Facebook friend; they didn't exactly make it clear whether the reporter wasn't accepted into the college or if it was his friend. If it was the reporter, why didn't they accept him? It wasn't his fault that his friend was posting mean things online.

My Response
After reading this, I would say that I'll be a lot more careful with what I post online, even though I don't use social media very much (I just kinda use it to look at things, I rarely post anything...). I don't really know what else I would say about this other than that I'll be extremely cautious when I post things on social media!!


- Brenna (• ◡•)

No comments:

Post a Comment